Bold Blue Beauty: How To Rock Blue Eyeliner
So this bold blue beauty trend has been cropping up everywhere. From the runways to magazine covers, colored eyeliner is officially a thing for the masses. And more specifically, blue eyeliner is really making its’ mark.
** we may earn a commission from you clinking the links in this post at no additional cost to you, for the full affiliate policy, click here.
Here’s how to get this beautiful bold eye and let it shine.
Step 1. Keep the rest of the face basic.
Add a tinted moisturizer for basic coverage but no heavy foundations or contouring work best with this look.
I used First Aid Beauty tinted moisturizer. It’s light and gives you a dewy finish which allows your skin to compliment the bold eye.
2. A little drama goes a long way. So don’t go crazy with blushes and highlighters. The cheekbone is so close to the eye so they will compete for attention and you will end up with a look that screams 80’s. Nothing wrong with the 80’s, the 80’s are back and better than ever, but the full-face heavy handed makeup is not what we are going for here.
We are trying to get a flawless skin feel with a bold eye.
3. I stick with a neutral shine on my lips- something like Glossiers balm dot com is perfect for this.
For me, I don’t think any shadow is necessary when you have such a bold eye. Dab a bit of a (cheek) highlighter stick if you want minimal shine or coverage without competing for attention.
4. Now for the eye…I used Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Eye Crayon in teal with silver glitter for this look. But you can find a budget version here.
I have personally used both and they both achieve this look well. It simply depends on your budget and preference. The budget version has a little less staying power, but for the money it is a great buy.
- When Applying this eyeliner, pull the corner of your eye out to create a taught base.
- Next, Start in the middle of your eye and go out. When applying eyeliner (non liquid) the heaviest line should be at the peak of the eyelid and then slowly bolden as you wing out. And depending whether you want a winged or square finish, the shape will change.
- Next fill in from the corner of your eye to the middle arch (where you started).
This technique was taught to me by a very established make up artist and she said this is her trick to get a smooth line and make sure the most dramatic point is at the middle to edge arc, and not a ton of product in the inner eye. We want a gradual look here, so trying to get it in one fell swoop can create an uneven line. With this method you can avoid most of the product ending up in the crease of your eye and your pencil or liner dying out by the wing.
So- this trend can be applied to a variety of colorful pencils. I chose blue because I think it looks amazing on all skin and eye color combinations and REALLY adds a boldness to your simple makeup days.
You can add a touch of mascara just to make your lashes have some definition but I prefer letting your brows and liner speak the loudest with this look. Not only is this the current beauty trend, but the lashes kind of compete with the liner if they are heavily done.. It also obscures the beautiful shape of blue you just created.
And there you have it, you’ve got his bold blue beauty trend down! Click the links below to shop the makeup items or the outfit from this post.
Shop the Makeup
Shop the outfit here (or similar items)
Do you like the colored eyeliner trend? If so, what color?
To sign up for the newsletter, to get VIP access and all the news first, click here